Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tokyo day seven

A very frustrating day. We cleaned the sample by smashing atoms into it and knocking all the dirt off then we baked it with some heat then we cleaned the LEED (used to check if the sample has made a crystal) then we cleaned the holmium source and then... at 7pm it broke. One of the wires on the manipulator inside the chamber has snapped and someone is coming to fix it tomorrow. This means letting air into the chamber, after we spent two weeks cleaning the inside of the chamber from the last time air was let in. D'oh.

I'm eating pizza which I burnt. This was after I realised my lasagne was only for the microwave (which I don't have) after the container melted in the oven. It really has been one of those days. On that note, every system that I've worked with since I started this job has broken and needed the manipulator out. That's 3/3 in less than a year. Beginning to think I'm cursed.

No comments: