Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tokyo day eight

Today was a marathon day. We vented the system ready to remove the manipulator. The engineers arrived at about 1pm and it wasn't until 1am that we had the manipulator back in, pumped down and the bakeout on. I had a headache and went in search of some aspirin from a vending machine and got locked out. What do you do? No-one is around and the guards just point and laugh when you try and explain your predicament through the medium of mime. I got back in by throwing stones at the lab windows to rouse attention!

Anyway, the headache got much worse and spread all down my spinal cord. It made my eyes bulge like they were ready to pop with a big pressure burst. I couldn't get any aspirin at 7-11 so I decided to sleep it off. Big mistake. I spent all night sat propped up in bed staring at the wall. It was too painful to put my head down on the pillow, too painful to watch tv, too painful to think. Finally dropped off for three hours at about 8am. Not the best day since I arrived and not ideal preparation for a six hour round trip across central Tokyo and out to Narita airport to meet Nicola, the cavalry.

No comments: