Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The BBC

It is a truth universally acknowledged that the BBC is far too left wing liberal and over represents women and minority groups. I am told (by a woman with left wing liberal politics) that there a small number of bigots who always say this about the BBC and that people in the US say the same thing about CNN. Well, I'm not saying that I disagree with equality and that my politics aren't liberal (in places). I'm saying that the BBC should be upfront about its agenda or it should be politically neutral and objective. Take BBC breakfast news as an example. On the show today they had features about daycare centres that offer others services such as dry cleaning, a report into the best ways to keep children occupied during long summer car journeys and an examination of why most primary school teachers are women. I don't have a problem with this content but it is not news and should not be labelled as such. Thank god I have BBC radio 4 when I leave the house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. It is not a 'universally acknowledged truth' that the BBC has a liberal bias. The only place I see it 'acknowledged' is by those nutters who make 'Have your say' on the BBC website practically unreadable. Sample comment from today:

'The institutional anti Americanism at the BBC is now pandemic across all of its programming platforms, & is a great source of embarrassment to me & to many British people I know.

No matter what the culturally liberal left think, Great Britian & the USA will remain strong allies for one main reason:

We are them, they are us.

Get used to it.

Righty Rightwing'

2. Surely the issue here is whether the BBC Breakfast show meets the expectations of its audience, rather than any perceived political leanings? Is it a news show or a lifestyle show and is it clearly advertised as either of those things?

3. Try GMTV for true morning horror. Get back to Massachusetts pinko!