Friday, May 04, 2007

UK Elections

Nearly 40 million people got the chance to vote yesterday in local elections. I didn't vote. Not because I'm lazy. I have received no information about any of the candidates, no visits to my door and I have seen nothing on the web or in the local press. I don't know what any of the candidates would do for my village or for the city as a whole. I decided not to vote along party lines because I'm not interested in sending a message to No. 10 because that will be ignored or spun. I despair. My local council seems to be run for the benefit of the councillors and their business friends. In my village most people pay no local council tax so the ones who do pay tax pay more than people who live in equivalent properties in other areas. I would have liked a say about how my village and the wider city is run but I was denied a chance by inept and lazy campaigning.

On a lighter note soldiers in Iraq have been wearing t-shirts that bear the slogan "I'm Harry!" in a Spartacus like show of solidarity.

No comments: