Sunday, May 06, 2007

Fight the Power

My bank charged me £23 because one of my accounts accidently went a few pounds overdrawn even though there was more than enough money in my other account to cover it. I asked them to give me the £23 back, they said no. I then said I was going to go through the official complaints procedure to get my money back and that I would switch to their rival first thing tuesday morning after the bank holiday. They called me back and said that as a gesture of goodwill they would repay me the money.

The banks are in mess over charges they make. Interest charged on mortgages and loans is much higher than interest paid on savings and the banks make a killing (see my earlier post about banking and its profitability). The other way they make money is by overcharging people for going briefly overdrawn. The banks fold as soon as you show willingness to contest these charges officially. They don't want to go to court because a ruling against them would bring down their whole system of robbing money out of the cashflow situation of the poor working people of this country. So if they charge you unfairly complain and go through official complaints. I know loads of people who have won back money. Fight the power.

No comments: