Thursday, May 24, 2007

Fed Up with my ISP

I'm fed up with my broadband provider. I signed up for this package on promises of a good and reliable connection with excellent customer support. More fool me. I never get anywhere close the connection speeds advertised. 101 kb/s is the most I ever get (at about 5am). I paid for the package up to 2MB but my local phone network is nowhere near good enough because I live in a satellite village of a larger town. The broadband company could have very easily checked local availability and offered me a price based on the speed they could genuinely offer. But no. I went for the package with the slightly higher speeds and tied myself into an 18 month contract to pay for something I'm not getting. And they know this.

The connection is unreliable too. I noticed that after a day or two of heavy downloading the bandwidth dips artificially to a rigid 20 kb/s. Again, I bought the package because it was advertised as having unlimited downloads and uploads but it seems an artificial cap is being applied if I use the service too much. The final straw comes with my personal webspace. This page, which has a paltry amount of space allocated has to be regularly updated to stay valid; if you don't change things regularly then they freeze the site because of 'inactivity' even though my visit tracker shows that the people who I set up this static page of information for visit it consistently in a steady trickle. Boo. When I call them I get diverted to a non-UK call centre where I have trouble understanding the operative and they have trouble understanding my accent. I know these people aren't stupid and they do their best but it doesn't work. I asked them for help setting up my free modem with linux and the line went quiet, they asked their supervisor and then said they weren't sure what I meant, a computer is Windows isn't it? Sheesh. As soon as my contract expires I'm going to pay extra to get what I pay for and before I switch I'm going to read every review and comparison of ISPs I can find. Hopefully by then I'll also have moved house to an area with cable internet. If anyone reading this has a suggestion that isn't spam then please recommend me do.

No comments: