Tuesday, April 10, 2007

University of York money gouging

I have just found out that my employer, the University of York, is to charge me £154 to park my car outside my place of work. Each member of staff is charged a percentage of their salary for this right and it must add up to a fortune in revenue, much more than the cost of maintaining the tarmac. The aim is to encourage people to use public transport to get to work. Sorry. Tried this for six months. I live 35 miles from York and my daily round trip by bus train and bus takes 3 hours and costs me £71 per week. Absolute misery and a severe reduction in my quality of life. My only option is to move to York but they don't pay me enough to be able to afford this and I'm not paying £150'000 for a terraced house without parking or central heating or double glazing. My current house is clean and warm and has space. And they know all this. Which is why they can profiteer by raking money from their staff. It's not our fault the Universities are all in debt.

No comments: