Wednesday, January 17, 2007

In Limbo

I suppose I'd better tell you a bit about me and what will be posted here. The content is easy; whatever I'm mentally chewing on will probably be spit out onto this page (so expect posts in the small hours when I can't sleep). It should be a Physics related blog since that's what I do for a living. Don't let that put you off; I'm hoping to give you a flavour of what it's like to work in scientific research (good and bad) and to provide an accessible slant on science stories in the media (especially when science gets distorted or misreported). There will be other posts about major events in my life and other things like grumbles about the bus companies and the local government.

I submitted my PhD thesis in December 2006 and I now have to find a J.O.B. (Jading fulfillment of Obligations to the Bank) to pay off my bills. A PhD takes at least 3 years to do and the thesis takes 3 months to write but I only get paid for 3 years. Some people have spent 4 years in total on their PhD and only got paid for 3. Luckily I have an understanding partner but I know that it has caused deep stress for many people. To top it off the University of York has now introduced a charge of £200 for anyone who does not hand in a thesis in under 3 years 3 months. Scandal.

So I need a job and I have interviews to go to but not for a few weeks. I have to sit at home with no money while my partner goes to work and gets tired. I'm in limbo. The nether world. Music should help. An excerpt from 'Lull' by Radiohead

Distracted by irrelevence
The stress and the tension
I'm in a lull
There's nothin' more dull
than talkin', talkin' 'bout yourself

Or from the track 'In Limbo'

I'm lost at sea
Don't bother me
I've lost my way
You're living in a fantasy world

I should chill out and make the most of it because soon I will need to quote The Smiths 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now'

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour
But heaven knows I'm miserable now
I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
And heaven knows I'm miserable now

No comments: